Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Modern Cottage Master Bedroom

I decided a long time ago that keeping up a regular blog wasn't where I wanted to allot a good portion of my time, but over the years I have still had fun updating our home and wanted to have an official place to document it. So over the coming weeks I will post our house room by room. So here we go... I decided for Christmas that the main thing I wanted was to finally put my stamp on our master bedroom. We've been here about three and a half years and this was one of the very last places to get any sort of personal touch. It was more of the close the door and don't let anyone see the hodge podge of left over furniture and decor from every where else. 

It sat like this for probably a year


Then we finally tackled paint, crown molding, a ceiling fan, and making an actual bed


Then I dressed it up with an inexpensive DIY and some odds and ends from around the house. It never made it much further than this. It had the cottage feel I've always loved but still didn't ever feel finished or "me" just felt like I pulled a bunch of leftovers from around the house :)

When I decided to tackle our bedroom I REALLY struggled trying to pin down my style. I think Pinterest totally warped my natural knack for design and what I know I like. It tore me in a million different directions because all of a sudden I liked everything and had no idea where to start. Do I like modern? Industrial? Cottage? Vintage? Retro? Traditional? Craftsman? Ahhhh! I looked at SO many pictures and over analyzed til I about drove myself mad. Then one day I decided, FORGET PINTEREST! I stopped looking at pictures and went back to my roots... what do I like? What makes me swoon, feel at home, what was I drawn to before pinterest ever came along. And what do ya know... things started to come together. 
Here's what I LOVE..
-WHITE
-Cottage/Coastal
-A touch of vintage/retro/mid-century
-The THRILL of being thrifty!

Most of the fun about decor for me is being thrifty. I think there are only about 5 things in our entire bedroom that I bought from a regular store. Almost everything else was either free, thrifted, or made by us. LOVE that. It drives me crazy when designers claim to be "thrifty" and then say they had a budget of 5 grand or something for a single room. When I say thrifty I mean... an entire room for under 300 bucks. I believe ANYONE can have a beautiful home, just have to have an eye for design and know a good deal when you see one. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AHHHH, that's me! 
Bed: made by us via Anna White- most expensive thing in the room
Vintage Botanicals: Free! ok 5 bucks of printing via PoppyTalk 
Bedding: Shams and Quilted Coverlet were 10 dollars at a garage sale last summer
 Nightstands: Old filing cabinets-14 bucks for the pair- Thrifted via Savers
Grey Pillow: Home Goods- LOVE!
Lamps and Vase: Ikea that I already had



Botanical Notebooks: Target
Wire Basket: Thrifted @ DI
Flowers: Michael's 50% off
Ampersand: Hobby Lobby 40% off


We have added some sort of custom molding to almost every room in the house. This room was screaming for a focal point and planked walls are all the craze, but work perfectly with the overall feel for the room so we did it! And I LOVE!
Mid-Century Dresser: Thrifted via DI for $40- A steal of a deal we found years ago
Mirrors: DIY with leftover crown molding


Books: Thrifted via DI
Branches: My parents yard :)


Sunburst mirror: Way old trend but still love. DIY that I made a few years ago. I intended on painting it out until I saw it finished, I loved the natural wood tones and kept it as is. 
Dresser: My childhood dresser growing up, changed out the knobs a few years back
Wood Planter: Thirfted a few years ago, turned upside and backwards here. 
Plants and white planters are from Ikea


We wanted a little reading area so a few years ago I found this chair at DI for five bucks! It had great bones and looked so similar to our bed with the wood slats. It was oak and had forest green cushions, but nothing a little white paint and an Ikea sheet can't tackle!


I wanted a little area to display mementos and have fun styling over the years. We had some pine left over from making our bed so we just painted them out and added some brackets from Ikea. 
Two maps: Free from a neighbor- I picked out the two states where we've lived the longest
Chalk Board: From Home Goods with some DIY chalkboard art


Daily Calendar: Gift from a friend
Journal: DIY
Jewelry dish: Thifted from DI


This dresser is one of the very first projects we ever did. We spray painted it white in a church parking lot about 9 years ago! It was Paul's grandma's and came to us painted alternating colors of white and mustard yellow. A few years ago we changed out the knobs with some vintage knobs for less than ten bucks!
Books: Thrifted from DI
Plant/Planter: Ikea
Letter: Hobby Lobby


I'm sure in 5 more years I'll look back at these pictures and think to myself- What an amateur! But for now, I love it. I love knowing that every little thing has a different story but together they make a place that I love!

*Coming up... Boys shared bedroom and little girl nursery

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's beautiful.Amateur or not, if it makes you happy, it's good. And the gray pillow with the button is adorable.